After a contentious decision defeat at Invicta FC 2, Shayna “The Queen of Spades” Baszler looks to get back on the winning track when she faces off against fellow submission specialist Sarah “The Monster” D’Alelio at Invicta Fighting Championships 3 on October 6th in Kansas City, Kansas.
MMARising.com confirmed plans for the bantamweight co-main event today. Baszler engaged in a back-and-forth battle with undefeated Olympic silver medallist Sara McMann in late July, but dropped a close decision. D’Alelio has earned submission victories in back-to-back fights for Invicta FC.
Baszler (14-7-0) is one of the most talented grapplers in the sport today and all but one of her 14 career wins have come by way of submission. The catch wrestler and jiu-jitsu practitioner brought a four-fight winning streak into her Invicta FC debut this past month and faced McMann in the night’s main event. Baszler showcased some impressive counterstriking throughout the fight and attempted submissions on the ground, but all three judges ultimately favoured McMann’s aggression and awarded the Olympian the win on the scorecards. The loss dashed Baszler’s hopes for an immediate Invicta FC title fight, which may have been booked for the upcoming October card, but she may earn a title rematch against McMann if she can get past D’Alelio at Invicta FC 3.
D’Alelio (6-2-0) wasted no time in getting her pro career started with five fights in 2010 that included four stoppage victories. She made her Strikeforce debut this past August, but her lone appearance ended in controversy when she was deemed to have verbally submitted to an armbar from current Strikeforce Women’s Bantamweight Champion “Rowdy” Ronda Rousey. Not to be deterred, D’Alelio has rebounded from the disappointing loss in a big way this year and she is 2-0 under the Invicta FC banner. D’Alelio forced BJJ brown belt Vanessa Mariscal to submit to second-round punches on the inaugural Invicta FC card in April and most recently secured her biggest win to date by submitting Vanessa Porto with a reverse triangle armbar this past month.
Invicta FC hopes to crown its first bantamweight champion in early 2013 and the winner of the bout between Baszler and D’Alelio may face McMann for the title at Invicta FC 4. An official decision has not yet been announced.
Invicta Fighting Championships 3 takes place on October 6th at Memorial Hall in Kansas City, Kansas. The event is headlined by an Invicta FC Atomweight Championship bout between Jessica Penne and Naho “Sugi Rock” Sugiyama.
Invicta Fighting Championships 3 Fight Card (to date; subject to change):
- Jessica Penne vs Naho “Sugi Rock” Sugiyama [Atomweight (105-Pound) Championship]
- Shayna “The Queen of Spades” Baszler vs Sarah “The Monster” D’Alelio [135 Pounds]
- Barb “Little Warrior” Honchak vs Aisling “Ais The Bash” Daly [125 Pounds]
- Tara LaRosa vs Vanessa Porto [125 Pounds]
- Leslie “The Peacemaker” Smith vs Cat “Alpha” Zingano [135 Pounds]
- Michelle “The Karate Hottie” Waterson vs Lacey “The Ladie” Schuckman [105 Pounds]
- Julia “The Jewel” Budd vs Elaina “Beef” Maxwell [145 Pounds]
- Carla Esparza vs Lynn “Lights Out” Alvarez [115 Pounds]
- Ashley “Smashley” Cummins vs Joanne Calderwood [115 Pounds]
- Amy “Lil’ Dynamite” Davis vs Stephanie “Macaquinha” Frausto [105 Pounds]
- Jessamyn “The Gun” Duke vs Marciea “Black Widow” Allen [135 Pounds]
- Tecia “The Tiny Tornado” Torres vs Kaiyana Rain [115 Pounds]
- Katalina Malungahu vs Taylor “No Mercy” Stratford [145 Pounds]
(Photo Credit: Sherdog.com)