Long-time pound-for-pound standout Tara LaRosa is set to make her Invicta FC debut against veteran Brazilian star Vanessa Porto at Invicta Fighting Championships 3 on October 6th in Kansas City, Kansas. MMARising.com confirmed plans for the featured flyweight fight earlier today.
LaRosa has tasted defeat only once in her past 19 fights dating back over nine years and she has defeated most of the sport’s top female competitors over the course of her career. Porto has won seven of her past nine and she plans to make a big impact with a victory in her new home at 125 pounds.
LaRosa (21-2-0) sports a career record that is arguably unmatched by any other female fighter in the sport. Since her pro debut back in April 2002, LaRosa has taken on all challengers and she reigned supreme atop the bantamweight division for over two years before opting to seek out new opponents at a lower weight. LaRosa has fought sparingly in recent years, due in part to a lack of credible opposition, but the 23-fight veteran has managed to post wins in each of her past three fights. LaRosa is coming off of a last-second submission victory over Kelly Warren in March, but later expressed disappointment with her performance and will aim to prove that she is still a tough test for anyone when she faces off against Porto in October.
Porto (14-5-0) has long been regarded as one of Brazil’s premier female fighters. The BJJ black belt’s résumé includes notable victories over Tonya Evinger, Hitomi “Girlfight Monster” Akano and Jennifer Maia. Though primarily known for her ground game, Porto has showcased her much-improved striking in recent fights and became the inaugural Pink Fight 132-pound champion with a one-punch knockout win in March. Porto returned to the United States to compete at Invicta FC 2 this past month, but fell victim to a unique reverse triangle armbar from rising star Sarah “The Monster” D’Alelio. Believing that she was undersized for the bantamweight division, Porto will now drop down to 125 pounds in search of the biggest win of her career.
Invicta Fighting Championships 3 takes place on October 6th at Memorial Hall in Kansas City, Kansas. The event is headlined by an Invicta FC Atomweight Championship bout between Jessica Penne and Naho “Sugi Rock” Sugiyama.
Invicta Fighting Championships 3 Fight Card (to date; subject to change):
- Jessica Penne vs Naho “Sugi Rock” Sugiyama [Atomweight (105-Pound) Championship]
- Shayna “The Queen of Spades” Baszler vs Sarah “The Monster” D’Alelio [135 Pounds]
- Barb “Little Warrior” Honchak vs Aisling “Ais The Bash” Daly [125 Pounds]
- Tara LaRosa vs Vanessa Porto [125 Pounds]
- Leslie “The Peacemaker” Smith vs Cat “Alpha” Zingano [135 Pounds]
- Michelle “The Karate Hottie” Waterson vs Lacey “The Ladie” Schuckman [105 Pounds]
- Julia “The Jewel” Budd vs Elaina “Beef” Maxwell [145 Pounds]
- Carla Esparza vs Lynn “Lights Out” Alvarez [115 Pounds]
- Ashley “Smashley” Cummins vs Joanne Calderwood [115 Pounds]
- Amy “Lil’ Dynamite” Davis vs Stephanie “Macaquinha” Frausto [105 Pounds]
- Jessamyn “The Gun” Duke vs Marciea “Black Widow” Allen [135 Pounds]
- Tecia “The Tiny Tornado” Torres vs Kaiyana Rain [115 Pounds]
- Katalina Malungahu vs Taylor “No Mercy” Stratford [145 Pounds]