A neck injury has forced Julia “The Jewel” Budd out of her featherweight fight against Ediane “India” Gomes at Invicta Fighting Championships 6. Muay Thai champ Charmaine “Not So Sweet” Tweet has stepped in to face Gomes on the card, which takes place on July 13th in Kansas City, Missouri.
MMARising.com confirmed the change with multiple sources close to the negotiations today. Tweet has won four of her past five fights and she most recently submitted Invicta FC veteran Amanda “The Lady Killer” Bell earlier this month. Gomes is 2-0 in the Invicta FC cage and returns from a rib injury.
Tweet (4-3-0) captured four titles during her Muay Thai career. She got off to a rocky start in MMA after making her debut against current UFC Women’s Bantamweight Champion “Rowdy” Ronda Rousey in June 2011, but Tweet has bounced back strong and she has scored first-round submission victories in each of her past three fights. On June 1st, Tweet once again showcased her rapidly-improving ground game by submitting Bell late in the opening round of their 150-pound catchweight fight. All four of her MMA wins to date have come via tapout.
Gomes (10-2-0) is currently riding a four-fight winning streak that includes key victories over Leslie “The Peacemaker” Smith and former Smackgirl champion Hiroko “Cat’s Eye” Yamanaka. She was first set to face Budd at Invicta FC 5 in April, but Gomes was moved up the card when Cristiane “Cyborg” Justino was added to the event. Gomes subsequently suffered a rib injury that forced her off of the card. She now faces Budd’s Canadian compatriot, Tweet, and a victory for Gomes would likely position the Brazilian standout as a future Invicta FC title challenger at 145 pounds.
Invicta Fighting Championships 6 takes place on July 13th at the Ameristar Casino Hotel in Kansas City, Missouri. The event is headlined by an Invicta FC Featherweight Championship rematch between Marloes “Rumina” Coenen and Cristiane “Cyborg” Justino.
Invicta Fighting Championships 6 Fight Card (subject to change):
- Marloes “Rumina” Coenen vs Cristiane “Cyborg” Justino [Invicta FC Featherweight Championship]
- Ayaka Hamasaki vs Claudia “Claudinha” Gadelha
- Sarah “The Monster” D’Alelio vs Lauren Taylor
- Leslie “The Peacemaker” Smith vs Jennifer Maia
- Jessica Penne vs Nicdali “The Night Queen” Rivera-Calanoc
- Joanne “JoJo” Calderwood vs Norma Rueda Center
- Ediane “India” Gomes vs Charmaine “Not So Sweet” Tweet
- Bec “Rowdy” Hyatt vs Mizuki Inoue
- “The Queen of Mean” Miriam Nakamoto vs “Diamond” Duda Yankovich
- “Thug” Rose Namajunas vs Tecia “The Tiny Tornado” Torres
- Ashley “Smashley” Cummins vs Emily Kagan
- “Miss” Mollie Estes vs Veronica “The Heartbreaker” Rothenhausler
- Cassie “The Hulk” Robb vs Livia “T-Rex” von Plettenberg