After a planned Strikeforce bout was scrapped earlier this week, Cat “Alpha” Zingano has stepped in on short notice to face Raquel “Rocky” Pennington at Invicta Fighting Championships 3 on October 6th in Kansas City, Kansas. Zingano replaces an injured “Killer” Kim Connor-Hamby on the card.
Zingano was first set to face Leslie “The Peacemaker” Smith at Invicta FC 3, but withdrew from the fight in order to compete for Strikeforce this Saturday. The Strikeforce event was subsequently cancelled and Zingano will now face Pennington, who is one of the sport’s top bantamweight prospects.
Zingano (6-0-0) has had a rollercoaster year thus far in 2012, as injuries have kept her out of action and delayed her return to the cage. The undefeated multi-time champion has not fought since a May 2011 title win over Takayo Hashi under the Fight To Win banner. Zingano signed on to make her Strikeforce debut against Amanda “Lioness of the Ring” Nunes this Saturday at Strikeforce: “Melendez vs Healy,” but the entire event was cancelled on Sunday night after Gilbert Melendez suffered an injury in training. Zingano’s first bout for Strikeforce will have to wait, but she will at last have an opportunity to compete this year when she faces Pennington. All but one of Zingano’s pro wins have come inside the distance.
Pennington (3-1-0) is herself a late replacement on the Invicta FC 3 card. Fresh off of a submission win over Raquel Pa’aluhi in Hawaii earlier this month, Pennington stepped in to face Connor-Hamby when the Invicta FC 3 lineup underwent changes following the withdrawal of former Strikeforce champ Sarah Kaufman. In July, Pennington made her Invicta FC debut on the promotion’s second card and earned an impressive decision victory over the previously unbeaten Sarah “Cheesecake” Moras. At just 24 years of age, Pennington is one of the brightest young prospects in the 135-pound women’s division. She now faces Zingano in an all-Colorado battle and looks to hand Zingano the first defeat of her career.
Connor-Hamby reportedly suffered a knee injury during training and a timetable for the veteran striker’s return is not yet known.
Invicta Fighting Championships 3 takes place on October 6th at Memorial Hall in Kansas City, Kansas. The event is headlined by an Invicta FC Atomweight Championship bout between Jessica Penne and Naho “Sugi Rock” Sugiyama.
Invicta Fighting Championships 3 Fight Card (subject to change):
– Jessica Penne vs Naho “Sugi Rock” Sugiyama [Atomweight (105-Pound) Championship]
– Shayna “The Queen of Spades” Baszler vs Sarah “The Monster” D’Alelio [135 Pounds]
– Kaitlin Young vs Leslie “The Peacemaker” Smith [135 Pounds]
– Barb “Little Warrior” Honchak vs Aisling “Ais The Bash” Daly [125 Pounds]
– Tara LaRosa vs Vanessa Porto [125 Pounds]
– Cat “Alpha” Zingano vs Raquel “Rocky” Pennington [135 Pounds]
– Michelle “The Karate Hottie” Waterson vs Lacey “The Ladie” Schuckman [105 Pounds]
– Julia “The Jewel” Budd vs Elaina “Beef” Maxwell [145 Pounds]
– Carla Esparza vs Lynn “Lights Out” Alvarez [115 Pounds]
– Ashley “Smashley” Cummins vs Joanne Calderwood [115 Pounds]
– Amy “Lil’ Dynamite” Davis vs Stephanie “Macaquinha” Frausto [105 Pounds]
– Jessamyn “The Gun” Duke vs Marciea “Black Widow” Allen [135 Pounds]
– Tecia “The Tiny Tornado” Torres vs Kaiyana Rain [115 Pounds]
– Ediane “India” Gomes vs Katalina Malungahu [145 Pounds]