Japanese standout Kikuyo Ishikawa is no longer set to compete at Invicta Fighting Championships 2 on July 28th in Kansas City, Kansas. Ishikawa’s opponent, “South Valley’s Own” Angelica Chavez, will now face Nicdali “The Night Queen” Rivera-Calanoc. The change was announced today.
No official reason was named for Ishikawa’s withdrawal from the card, but it is believed that her bout with Chavez was under a tentative agreement only. Ishikawa may compete at Jewels: “20th Ring” on July 21st. Rivera-Calanoc returns to Invicta FC after competing on the promotion’s inaugural card.
Chavez (4-1-0) kicked off her pro career with submission wins in each of her first four fights in her home state of New Mexico. The Kajukenbo practitioner suffered her first professional setback in a bout with Diana “Dynamite” Rael in August, but sports a well-rounded skill set and remains one of the brighter prospects in the atomweight division. Chavez will compete outside of New Mexico for the first time as a mixed martial artist when she debuts for Invicta FC in July and looks to get back on the winning track and back into contention at 105 pounds.
Rivera-Calanoc (7-6-0) began her tenure in MMA at 125 pounds and won five of her first seven fights. She has progressively moved down in weight since 2010 and has encountered mixed success against formidable opposition. In May 2011, Rivera-Calanoc engaged in a competitive bout with standout striker Felice “Lil’ Bulldog” Herrig, but ultimately came up short on the scorecards. In April, she faced Amy “Lil’ Dynamite” Davis at Invicta FC 1 and succumbed to a second-round Kimura. Rivera-Calanoc hinted at retirement after the bout with Davis but had second thoughts and now aims for her biggest win to date.
Invicta Fighting Championships 2 takes place on July 28th at Memorial Hall in Kansas City, Kansas.
Invicta Fighting Championships 2 Fight Card (subject to change):
- Shayna “The Queen of Spades” Baszler (14-6-0) vs Sara McMann (5-0-0) [135 pounds]
- Alexis Davis (11-5-0) vs Hitomi “Girlfight Monster” Akano (18-9-0) [135 pounds]
- Liz “Girl-Rilla” Carmouche (6-2-0) vs Kaitlin Young (7-5-1) [135 pounds]
- Ayaka Hamasaki (7-0-0) vs Jasminka Cive (5-0-0) [115 pounds]
- Amanda “Lioness of the Ring” Nunes (6-2-0) vs Milana Dudieva (8-1-0) [135 pounds]
- Kelly “Blood Red” Kobold (18-3-1) vs Vanessa Porto (14-4-0) [135 pounds]
- Barb “Little Warrior” Honchak (5-2-0) vs Bethany Marshall (4-0-0) [125 pounds]
- Julia “The Jewel” Budd (2-2-0) vs Elina Nilsson (2-2-0) [145 pounds]
- Carla Esparza (6-2-0) vs Sarah “White Tiger” Schneider (6-5-0) [115 pounds]
- “South Valley’s Own” Angelica Chavez (4-1-0) vs Nicdali “The Night Queen” Rivera-Calanoc (7-6-0) [105 pounds]
- Sarah “Cheesecake” Moras (2-0-0) vs Raquel “Rocky” Pennington (1-0-0) [135 pounds]
- Jessamyn “The Gun” Duke (5-2-0 AM) vs Suzie Montero (1-0-0) [135 pounds]
- Jocelyn “Lights Out” Lybarger (4-2-0 AM) vs Cheryl Chan (6-2-0 AM) [125 pounds]
- Jessica Philippus (7-1-0 AM) vs “Lightning” Liz McCarthy (6-0-0 AM) [105 pounds]