Rebounding from losses in Bellator, England’s Rosi “The Surgeon” Sexton and Ireland’s Aisling “Ais The Bash” Daly both picked up victories tonight at Cage Warriors Fighting Championship 39: “The Uprising” in Cork, Ireland. Sexton stopped “Slick” Sally Krumdiack with punches in round two, while Daly bested Molly “The Maulinator” Helsel via Unanimous Decision.
Sexton was set to take part in the Bellator 115-pound women’s tournament in August, but a loss to Zoila Frausto forced her out. Daly lost to Lisa Ward in the opening round, but she and Sexton impressed in tonight’s fights.
Sexton reversed a clinch early in her bout with Krumdiack and scored with knees in close. The fighters battled for position until the referee separated them. Both landed punches and Sexton took Krumdiack down. She punched from the top as Krumdiack locked up an armbar from the bottom. Sexton punched free, but found herself in a second armbar soon after. She once again worked her way out of danger and landed strikes late in the close round.
Big punches were exchanged in the second stanza and Krumdiack appeared to hold a slight advantage, but Sexton rushed in and took her down. Sexton struck from the top until Krumdiack kicked her away. Krumdiack upkicked from the ground as Sexton stood over her. Sexton moved back into Krumdiack’s half-guard and then to side-control while throwing short left hands. She moved into a top-side crucifix, then passed to full mount. With one minute left in the round, Sexton postured up and rained down punches until the fight was stopped.
The victory was a big one for Sexton, who earned her second knockout win while handing Krumdiack the first TKO defeat of her career.
Winner: Rosi Sexton by TKO (Punches) at 4:07 of round two. She improves to 11-2-0.
In the second women’s bout of the evening, Helsel opened her fight with Daly strong in round one, but soon found herself fighting off of her back. She tried for a series of triangle chokes, but Daly avoided them and landed punches late in the round. Daly took Helsel down in the second round and worked for submissions before moving to full mount, but Helsel gamely defended and managed to regain her guard. Daly tried for a rear-naked choke before the bell.
The final round was once again competitive, as Daly backed Helsel up against the cage and the fighters battled for position. Daly landed strikes in the clinch and managed to take Helsel down. Helsel tried for another triangle choke, then scrambled and took Daly’s back, but Daly escaped back to her feet. The fight returned to a clinch and the bell rang soon after.
After three hard-fought rounds, all three judges sided with Daly, who got back on the winning track after suffering her first defeat in August. Helsel has dropped three straight, but has put up excellent fights in all three bouts.
Winner: Aisling Daly by Unanimous Decision after three rounds. She improves to 10-1-0.
In the night’s co-main event, Justin Robbins earned a three-round Unanimous Decision over Declan “Kid Dynamite” Williams. Robbins employed an effective strategy of takedowns and leg kicks, and kept his distance in the striking exchanges. Williams managed to put together a late rally, but it was not enough and Robbins improved his record to 12-9-1 with the win.
Cage Warriors Fighting Championship 39: “The Uprising” Results:
- Rosi Sexton defeated Sally Krumdiack by TKO (Punches) at 4:07 of round two.
- Justin Williams defeated Declan Williams by Unanimous Decision after three 5:00 rounds.
- Aisling Daly defeated Molly Helsel by Unanimous Decision after three 5:00 rounds.
- Joseph Duffy defeated Conor McGregor by Submission (Arm-Triangle Choke) at 0:38 of round one.
- Adam Edwards defeated Martin Begley by Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) at 4:17 of round one.
- Cathal Pendred defeated Jamie Rogers by Unanimous Decision after three 5:00 rounds.
- Vladimir Malko defeated Tom Sullivan by Submission (Achilles Lock) at 1:57 of round one.
- Conor Cooke defeated Gareth Pugh by TKO (Punches) at 2:33 of round one.
- Patrick Vickers defeated Artem Lobov by Unanimous Decision after two 5:00 rounds.
- Stephen Owens defeated Graham McCormack by Unanimous Decision after two 3:00 rounds.
- Warren Mitchell defeated Sean Tobin by Majority Decision after two 3:00 rounds.
- Kristian Reed defeated James Heelan by Submission (Triangle Armbar) at 1:34 of round one.
Thank you to Cage Warriors matchmaker Ian Dean for live updates from cageside.