K-1 Dynamite!! “Power Of Courage 2010” Live ResultsFighting and Entertainment Group showcased its annual New Year’s Eve extravaganza tonight at K-1 Dynamite!! “Power of Courage 2010.” The event was headlined by a DREAM Featherweight Championship rematch between Bibiano “The Flash” Fernandes and Hiroyuki “Streetfight Bancho” Takaya.

Also on the card, Japanese legend Kazushi Sakuraba challenged Marius “The Whitemare” Zaromskis for the DREAM Welterweight title, and Alistair Overeem faced Todd Duffee for the inaugural DREAM Interim Heavyweight Championship. MMARising.com has play-by-play and results for the event.


DREAM Featherweight Championship

Hiroyuki “Streetfight Bancho” Takaya vs Bibiano “The Flash” Fernandes

Round 1:
The fight began tentatively as the fighters circled and pawed out with jabs. Takaya landed a leg kick one minute into the fight and followed with another soon after. Fernandes fell while throwing a kick, but got back to his feet. Takaya landed another leg kick and Fernandes scored a takedown. Fernandes punched with his right hand and tried to move from half-guard to side-control. He nearly achieved mount, but Takaya scrambled out and stood up. Takaya landed more leg kicks and stuffed a takedown. Takaya threw single punches and more leg kicks, and sidestepped a winging right hand from Fernandes.

Right hooks landed for both fighters and Takaya maintained his game plan of inside leg kicks. Time was called to warn both fighters about inactivity. Upon the restart, both threw overhand rights and Takaya cracked Fernandes with a right hook. Fernandes countered a leg kick with a one-two and a takedown attempt. He backed Takaya into a corner until the referee broke the fighters apart. One-two combos landed for both fighters and Takaya followed with a right cross. Fernandes landed an uppercut, but missed with a wild flying knee and a looping hook. Takaya sprawled out of a takedown and landed a knee before the bell.

Round 2:
Fernandes looked to land punching combinations in the second round as Takaya fired back with leg kicks and punches of his own. The action remained high as both fighters scored with one-twos. Takaya landed more leg kicks and Fernandes responded with a body kick. Fernandes clinched and backed Takaya into the corner. He landed knees to Takaya’s ribs until the referee separated the fighters.

More quick punches were exchanged and Fernandes briefly took Takaya down. Takaya quickly got back to his feet and Fernandes landed knees to the thighs in the corner. The fighters were separated again and Takaya attempted a takedown of his own. He was unsuccessful in his efforts and Fernandes backed Takaya up to the ropes. The round came to an end soon after.

Round 3:
Takaya opened the final round with a big right hand and tried to put together a combination. Fernandes targeted the body and just missed with a looping right hook. Time was called after Fernandes backed Takaya up to the ropes and the fighters fell through. Fernandes scored a takedown and Takaya worked back to his feet against the ropes. Fernandes pulled guard, but Takaya took advantage by punishing Fernandes with punches.

Fernandes looked to set up a submission, but Takaya remained very active with punches from the top. Fernandes tried again for an armbar and met with no success. Takaya pressed Fernandes up against the ropes and the fighters were moved to the centre of the ring. Takaya immediately resumed punching and easily avoided a triangle choke attempt. More punches landed for Takaya as time wore down in the final round and he defended an armbar at the bell.

Winner: Hiroyuki Takaya by Unanimous Decision after three (10:00, 5:00, 5:00) rounds. He improves to 15-8-1 and becomes the new DREAM Featherweight Champion.


Tatsuya “Crusher” Kawajiri vs Josh “The Punk” Thomson

Round 1:
Both fighters began the fight aggressively with kicks and punches to the head and body. A clinch against the ropes followed and Karajiri used a body lock takedown to get the fight to the mat. Kawajiri threw hammerfists from Thomson’s guard and Thomson looked to isolate an arm for an armbar. Kawajiri moved to half-guard and then all the way to full mount.

Kawajiri trapped Thomson’s legs in place and peppered Thomson with left hands. Thomson got back to butterfly guard, but could not escape to his feet and Kawajiri kept the pressure on with rights to the face and body. Kawajiri, bleeding from the nose as a result of hammerfist strikes from Thomson, threw more punches until the final seconds. Thomson landed an upkick, but Kawajiri finished the round with a flurry on the ground.

Round 2:
Thomson opened round two with a Superman Punch and a flying head kick that missed badly. He fell to the ground, then stood up and was promptly taken down. Kawajiri landed in mount and secured an arm-triangle choke. Thomson defended and Kawajiri let the choke go. He trapped Thomson’s legs with his own once again and kept him in place. The fight returned to the feet soon after and Kawajiri tripped Thomson to the mat.

Kawajiri threw hammerfist after hammerfist from the top, then postured up and rained down a pair of right hands. Thomson nearly scrambled out to back control, but Kawajiri wisely defended and moved back to Thomson’s guard. A trio of hard right hands landed for Kawajiri and he picked Thomson up. Kawajiri slammed Thomson down, but Thomson scrambled and took Kawajiri’s back as the fighters stood. A stalemate followed and the fighters were separated. Both threw kicks at the same time.

Round 3:
The fighters clinched early in the final round and moved to the ropes, where both landed knees to the body. The clinch moved to a corner and Kawajiri scored a trip takedown. Kawajiri worked from the top in Thomson’s half-guard, then tried to move to side-control. Thomson kept Kawajiri in place initially, but Kawajiri passed and landed knees from side-control. He looked for a submission on Thomson’s left arm, but Thomson defended.

Kawajiri moved from half-guard to side-control again, then landed short knees from North-South position. Thomson scrambled to his feet and fired off a punching flurry and a pair of head kicks. He followed with a flying knee, but Kawajiri caught it and threw Thomson to the mat. Kawajiri moved straight to mount and tried to lock on an arm-triangle choke. Thomson defended well and made it to the final bell.

Winner: Tatsuya Kawajiri by Unanimous Decision after three 5:00 rounds. He improves to 27-6-2.


Jason “The Kansas City Bandit” High vs Hayato “Mach” Sakurai

Round 1:
Sakurai opened the fight with a stiff leg kick and followed with a glancing one-two as High backed away. High attempted a takedown and Sakurai reversed. He struck from the top in High’s half-guard. Sakurai elbowed High’s ribs and mixed in short punches to the face. High tied Sakurai up and prevented him from landing anything damaging, but Sakurai stayed busy with weak hammerfists and more elbows to the body.

After more elbows from Sakurai to the body and thigh of High, referee Kenichi Serizawa stood the fighters up and penalised High with a Yellow Card for inactivity. High threw a pair of kicks and Sakurai answered with one of his own and a right hook. The fighters clinched and High took Sakurai down. High punched to the body and moved to half-guard late in the round.

Round 2:
The second round began with a leg kick from Sakurai and a counter knee from High, who clinched and tried to take Sakurai down. As in round one, Sakurai reversed and wound up on top in High’s half-guard. Sakurai tried to move into an armbar, but High scrambled out and punched from a standing position over Sakurai. High avoided upkicks and struck from Sakurai’s guard. More short punches scored for High and Sakurai struck from his back.

High postured up and rained down five left hands that landed to varying degrees. High passed Sakurai’s guard and punched along the way, while Sakurai could do little from his back. Sakurai managed to regain guard, but High continued to throw short punches. High postured up and Sakurai landed an upkick, but High returned to his guard and connected with two left hands. The round came to an end seconds later.

Round 3:
Sakurai landed a jumping knee early in the final round and High clinched. A second knee, this time to the body, scored for Sakurai and the fighters were separated. High defended a takedown with a guillotine choke, but Sakurai pulled his head out and punched from the top. He moved to half-guard, but High scrambled and powered out. High took top position in Sakurai’s guard, then passed to half-guard.

High stayed busy, but the fight was stood up. Sakurai sprawled out of a takedown attempt, but High got him down on the second try. High punched and elbowed Sakurai’s ribs and Sakurai responded with short punches from his back. Although Sakurai was working, time was called and he was given a Yellow Card. The fight resumed and Sakurai rocked High badly with a left hook. He drilled him with a knee, but fell to the ground and a dazed High finished the round on top.

Two judges sided with High, while the third gave the nod to Sakurai.

Winner: Jason High by Split Decision after three 5:00 rounds. He improves to 12-3-0.


Kickboxing Bout

Tetsuya Yamato vs “Wicky” Akiyo Nishiura

Round 1:
Yamato landed a pair of early leg kicks while Nishiura walked forward with his trademark hands-down style. A front kick scored for Nishiura and the fighters clinched. The referee broke them up and Nishiura landed a lunging right. Yamato landed two more kicks, but ate a solid counter right from Nishiura. Yamato threw a leg kick, but had to quickly block a head kick counter. Nishiura attempted a second head kick, which was also blocked. Yamato scored with a body kick and the fighters exchanged kicks to the legs and body late in the round.

Round 2:
Yamato opened round two with a leg kick and a one-two. Nishiura fired back with a kick to the body and continued to use feints. Nishiura connected with a looping right hook and Yamato responded with a pair of kicks. Leg kicks landed for both and Nishiura threw Yamato to the mat. Two glancing right hooks from Nishiura kept Yamato at a distance and he scored with a left cross that snapped Yamato’s head back. Nishiura threw a series of lead right hooks and Yamato answered with left hand counters. Nishiura tripped Yamato to the mat before the bell.

Round 3:
Both fighters landed leg and body kicks in the final round, and a clinch followed. Nishiura landed a one-two, then a kick-punch combo. Yamato answered with two body kicks and a glancing left hook. Yamato fell off-balance to the mat after a flurry from Nishiura, but it was ruled a slip. Nishiura remained the aggressor, but Yamato connected with a handful of counterpunches. Five more punches landed for Nishiura and Yamato scored with a big right hook. Hard punches landed for both and Yamato rocked Nishiura. He tagged him again with a left, but Nishiura stayed on his feet. Great round.

Result: Majority Draw (30-29 Yamato, 30-30, 30-30) after three 3:00 rounds.


DREAM Welterweight Championship

Marius “The Whitemare” Zaromskis vs Kazushi Sakuraba

Round 1:
The fighters exchanged kicks and body punches early on, and Zaromskis landed a grazing left hook. It opened a cut on Sakuraba’s right ear and he was sent to the mat by a counterpunch. Sakuraba was fine and got back to his feet, but time was called to check the cut on his ear. The fight resumed and Zaromskis threw a three-punch flurry to the body. Sakuraba answered with a right hook and Zaromskis scored with a looping left hook to the ear.

After an exchange of punches, Sakuraba shot in for a takedown and Zaromskis defended. Time was called again as Sakuraba’s badly cauliflowered ear ruptured. Sakuraba cupped his hand over his ear, which had split and was bleeding profusely, and the fight was waved off by the ringside doctor.

Winner: Marius Zaromskis by TKO (Doctor Stoppage) at 2:16 of round one. He improves to 14-5-0, 1 NC and remains the DREAM Welterweight Champion.


Satoshi Ishii vs Jerome Le Banner

Round 1:
Ishii took Le Banner down early in the fight and moved to side-control, where he peppered Le Banner with punches and hammerfists. Le Banner managed to regain half-guard repeatedly, but Ishii continued to move back to side-control and landed solid strikes that prompted Le Banner to hold on. Ishii took his back and the fighters stood. He dragged Le Banner down briefly, but Le Banner got up again and the fighters separated.

Le Banner landed a quick one-two in close and sprawled out of a takedown. Ishii tried for another takedown, but Le Banner wound up on top in Ishii’s half-guard. He moved to a partial mount and landed two punches, but lost the position after Ishii rolled out. Back on the feet, Ishii clinched against the ropes and backed away soon after. Le Banner landed a knee and Ishii countered with a hook. Le Banner defended another takedown at the bell.

Round 2:
Punches and knees were exchanged in close in round two as the fighters battled for position against the ropes. Ishii dropped down for a takedown and got it on his second try. Le Banner punched from his back and Ishii targeted the body from the top. Ishii prevented Le Banner from standing up by continuing to throw occasional punches from the top.

Ishii stood over Le Banner and landed more punches to the body, but lost the position after trying for a heel hook. Le Banner struck from Ishii’s guard, then stood up and Ishii followed. A fatigued Le Banner threw a weak kick and Ishii took him down. Ishii attempted another heel hook and Le Banner rolled to his side to defend. Le Banner struck from the top in the final 25 seconds as the crowd cheered him on.

Round 3:
Both fighters were gassed as the final round began, but exchanged short punches and knees in close. Ishii managed to get Le Banner down and threw sparse strikes from the top in Le Banner’s half-guard. He moved to side-control and landed a handful of knees to the body. Ishii postured up and rained down hammerfists, but the strikes had little effect. Ishii attempted a Kimura and nearly got it, but Le Banner got out.

Again, Ishii tried for a Kimura on Le Banner’s left arm and Le Banner seemed close to submitting, but he held on and powered out. Ishii landed knees from North-South position, then returned to side-control and alternated between knees and elbows to the body. Ishii looked again for a Kimura, but could not get it. He continued to punch the sides of Le Banner’s head and took Le Banner’s back late in the round. Le Banner defended until the bell.

The normally stoic Japanese crowd booed the end of the fight, as well as the decision when Ishii was named as the winner.

Winner: Satoshi Ishii by Unanimous Decision after three 5:00 rounds. He improves to 4-1-0 with the win.


DREAM Interim Heavyweight Championship

Alistair Overeem vs Todd Duffee

Round 1:
Duffee rushed in with punches and tried for a takedown, but Overeem shrugged him off. The fighters stood and Duffee again threw big punches as he tried for an early knockout. Overeem backed Duffee up with a knee to the body and just missed with a one-two. Another huge knee to the ribs hurt Duffee and Overeem knocked him out with a one-two combination of hooks.

Winner: Alistair Overeem by KO (Punches) at 0:19 of round one. He improves to 34-11-0, 1 NC and becomes the DREAM Interim Heavyweight Champion. He is also the present holder of the K-1 Grand Prix Championship and Strikeforce Heavyweight Championship.



(Photo Credit: DREAM)