UFC 119: "Mir vs Cro Cop" Live Play-By-Play & ResultsThe Ultimate Fighting Championship came to the Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Indiana tonight for UFC 119: “Mir vs Cro Cop.” The event was headlined by a heavyweight bout between former champ Frank Mir and 2006 PRIDE Open Weight Grand Prix Champion Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipović.

Also on the main card, Antonio Rogerio “Minotoro” Nogueira looked to take one step closer to the UFC Light Heavyweight Championship and a rematch with Mauricio “Shogun” Rua when he faced off with Ryan “Darth” Bader. MMARising.com has live play-by-play for all fights on the televised card.


Frank Mir vs Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipović

Round 1:
The fighters traded quick punches in the opening seconds and Mir landed a leg kick. He tried for a takedown and Filipović stuffed it. Mir landed knees to the legs and body in a clinch against the cage. A counter knee from Filipović struck Mir in the groin and he collapsed to the mat. Mir got up and walked it off and the fight continued. Mir just missed with two lunging right hands. Filipović sidestepped another right from Mir and flashed out a head kick. Mir faked a shot and landed a left hook.

Filipović continued to look to land one knockout strike and Mir clinched again. He threw an elbow over the top and kept Filipović pressed up against the cage. Filipović defended and circled away. Mir landed a leg kick and a one-two, then clinched again. He landed two knees to the body and the fighters were separated. Both fighters just missed with left hands and Filipović scored with a body kick. Mir countered with a pair of punches in close that opened a small cut on Filipović’s forehead. 10-9 Mir.

Round 2:
As in the first round, the fighters exchanged quick punches in close in round two. Filipović landed a stiff jab and a glancing left hand. Mir clinched and tried for a trip, but Filipović stayed on his feet and Mir backed him up against the cage. Mir landed a knee to the body, but little else transpired and the fighters were separated again. Filipović threw a left cross as Mir landed a leg kick.

Filipović seemed content to punch only and Mir landed a one-two and clinched. He backed Filipović up to the cage again and another relative stalemate followed. Referee Herb Dean broke the fighters apart and Mir landed a lead left hand. Filipović finally threw another kick and was immediately countered by a hook-uppercut combo from Mir. Little transpired in the final seconds as Filipović missed badly with a head kick. 10-9 Mir.

Round 3:
The final round began cautiously as the fighters circled. Filipović landed a pair of jabs and Mir fired back with a quick one-two. Mir clinched and tried for a trip, but Filipović stepped backwards and landed a combination. Mir answered with one of his own and Filipović targeted the body. He followed with two solid left hands and Mir clinched. The fight returned to a stalemate against the cage as the crowd grew restless.

Filipović defended a takedown and landed a knee. The fighters were separated and Filipović punched out of a clinch. He landed a nice right hand and Mir clinched again. Filipović circled out and just as it appeared that the fight would go to an extremely lacklustre decision, Mir melted Filipović with a knee. He followed up with two punches before referee Herb Dean could save Filipović.

Nice ending, but a horrible fight.

Winner: Frank Mir by KO (Knee) at 4:02 of round three. He improves to 14-5-0.


Ryan “Darth” Bader vs Antonio Rogerio “Minotoro” Nogueira

Round 1:
Bader pushed forward aggressively with punches right away and landed a nice right hand. Nogueira fired back with a left and a short right hook. A one-two combo of looping hooks landed for Nogueira and Bader just missed with a powerful right. A nice left landed for Nogueira, but Bader tripped him to the mat and unloaded with massive punches from a standing position. Nogueira weathered the storm and Bader fell into his guard. Bader pressed Nogueira up against the cage on the ground.

Bader landed short punches and elbows. More punches to the head and body landed for Bader, but he was unable to score with anything damaging and Nogueira worked back to his feet. The fighters separated and Bader ducked into a kick from Nogueira. He tried to clinch, but Nogueira shrugged him off and landed a big right hook. Bader recovered and tripped Nogueira briefy, but Nogueira stood and landed punches before the bell. 10-9 Bader.

Round 2:
Bader opened the second round with a leg kick and Nogueira fired back with one to the body. Nogueira landed a glancing left cross and another body kick and Bader answered with a Superman Punch that partially landed. A one-two and a lead right hand connected for Nogueira and Bader missed with a right hook. He landed a body kick of his own, but failed in an attempt to take Nogueira down. Bader landed two quick punches and finally scored a takedown.

Nogueira used wrist control to nullify Bader’s offence, then kicked him off and stood up. Bader landed a body kick as Nogueira fired off a one-two. Nogueira began to pick up the pace with punches and landed a glancing knee. Bader scored a partial takedown, but Nogueira quickly returned to his feet. Nogueira threw another knee and stuffed a takedown. Bader landed a right hand and Nogueira replied with a body kick. Very close round. 10-9 Bader, barely.

Round 3:
Nogueira landed a combination early in the final round and Bader replied with one of his own. A one-two landed for Nogueira, but he inadvertently poked Bader in the eye. Time was called and Bader was given time to recover. Nogueira landed a kick and stuffed a takedown. He landed two big punches and Bader drilled him with a massive counter right hand. Nogueira was unfazed and stuffed two more takedowns. Nogueira landed a knee to the body and a left hook. Bader took Nogueira down, but ate a knee on the way. Nogueira scrambled back to his feet and Bader appeared to be fatigued.

Bader tried to clinch and Nogueira easily broke free. Nogueira landed a combination and Bader fired back with a knee and a right hand. More punches connected for Nogueira, but Bader landed a nice three-punch flurry. Again, Nogueira put together a combination and was quickly countered. Bader landed big punches and Nogueira stunned him with a combination in reply. Bader clinched and took Nogueira down. He threw weak hammerfists from the top and Nogueira kicked him off just as the bell sounded. Another close round. 10-9 Nogueira, despite the late takedown.

Winner: Ryan Bader by Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27) after three rounds. He improves to 12-0-0.


Chris “Lights Out” Lytle vs Matt “The Terror” Serra

Round 1:
The fighters traded big power punches early in the fight and Serra targeted the body with a series of right hooks. Lytle scored with hooks and crosses to the jaw, but Serra was unfazed. Lytle connected with more punches and a solid uppercut as Serra’s face began to swell. A cut was opened beside Serra’s left eye and the fighters traded more punches in close. Lytle landed two more uppercuts, but ate a hard right hook in return. Lytle got the better of another striking exchange and landed a right hook to the body.

Serra clinched momentarily, but the fighters resumed punching each other with bad intentions. The cut near Serra’s eye began to bleed more freely as Lytle continued to fight a home for his right cross. Serra jabbed and Lytle answered with jabs of his own. A nice overhand right scored for Lytle and he followed with a counterpunch as Serra pushed forward. More right hands landed for Lytle, as well as an uppercut seconds later. Good first round. 10-9 Lytle.

Round 2:
Lytle buckled Serra with punches in the opening 30 seconds of round two, but Serra recovered and briefly stunned Lytle with a counter combination. More punches landed for Lytle as he backed Serra up. Lytle just missed with an uppercut, but landed a flurry. The fightets traded more punches and Lytle rocked Serra with a right hook to the temple. He followed up with two more punches, but Serra recovered. Lytle landed a right hook and Serra fought back with punches to the head and body.

Another combination scored for Lytle as Serra appeared to wobble briefly. Lytle sent him off-balance with a flurry and an uppercut. Serra battled back with a lunging one-two, but Lytle drilled him with more hooks and yet another uppercut. Serra winced and backed away. Lytle mixed in lead left hooks and followed with a lengthy barrage of punches that had Serra wilting against the cage. He somehow survived the onslaught and landed a kick late in the round. 10-9 Lytle.

Round 3:
The fighters embraced to begin the final round, then resumed punching each other. Lytle jabbed and just missed with a right cross. Lytle slipped and absolutely drilled Serra with an uppercut as Serra rushed in. Punches were exchanged and Serra tried unsuccessfully for a takedown. The pace slowed a bit, but the fighters continued to throw punches in a series of brief exchanges. Lytle caught a kick and punished Serra with a straight right. Serra landed a right hook counter and a leg kick.

Serra pushed forward with a combination and Lytle tagged him with a three-punch flurry. More left and right hooks scored for Lytle and he sent Serra off-balance with a looping left to the temple. Serra threw a leg kick and missed with a Superman Punch. Three huge punches landed for Lytle and Serra was briefly staggered, but he stayed on his feet and fired back with punches that missed the mark. Lytle landed another quick combination before the bell. Great fight in this rematch from 2006. 10-9 Lytle.

Winner: Chris Lytle by Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27) after three rounds. He improves to 30-17-5.


Sean “The Muscle Shark” Sherk vs Evan Dunham

Round 1:
Dunham threw a one-two early on that was clocked and Sherk countered with a leg kick. The fighters exchanged punches and both landed. Sherk shot in for a takedown, but Dunham secured a tight guillotine choke as Sherk slammed him to the mat. Sherk stayed calm and Dunham eventually released the choke. Dunham elbowed from his back as Sherk attacked with short punches and hammerfists from the top. Dunham worked back to his feet and ate an uppercut along the way. Sherk landed a nice knee and slammed Dunham down to the ground.

Sherk moved to half-guard and landed punches with both hands. Dunham stood and Sherk tried for a takedown. Dunham locked on another very tight guillotine and Sherk was forced to spin to get out of it. He narrowly escaped and Dunham took his back. Sherk managed to reverse and worked from Dunham’s guard. He landed a vicious elbow that opened a big cut above Dunham’s right eye. Sherk targeted the cut with more strikes. Time was briefly called, but Dunham was allowed to continue and the round ended seconds later. Close round, but 10-9 Sherk.

Round 2:
Dunham began to bleed from the cut immediately in round two and Sherk shot in for a takedown. Dunham pulled half-guard with yet another tight guillotine choke and Sherk somehow escaped once again. Dunham’s cut continued to bleed all over the place as he stood up. Dunham locked on another guillotine choke. Sherk scrambled out. He landed an elbow over the top and tried for another takedown. Dunham continued to counter the takedowns with guillotine choke attempts, but Sherk fought out and the fighters stood again.

Dunham landed a knee and backed away. Quick combinations landed for both fighters in close and Dunham threw a body kick. Sherk countered with a solid right hand as blood covered the right side of Dunham’s face. Dunham scored with a combination and a jumping knee, then followed with two head kicks that partially landed. More punches landed for Dunham as he began to take over the striking exchanges, but Sherk landed a quick flurry. Dunham scored with two knees and punches before the bell. 10-9 Dunham.

Round 3:
Dunham dropped Sherk with a head kick to begin the final round and Sherk was unsteady as he got back to his feet. He clinched and backed Dunham up to the cage. Dunham defended and stayed on his feet. He landed elbows to the sides of Sherk’s head, but Sherk finally managed to get him down. Dunham quickly returned to his feet and threw more elbows and hammerfists to Sherk’s temple. He shrugged Sherk off and landed a left cross. The fighters traded punches and Dunham landed a nice right hook. Dunham began to swarm Sherk with punches, but Sherk fired back a one-two.

Dunham landed a knee and Sherk clinched. Dunham secured a front headlock and landed two knees. Sherk backed away and Dunham connected with a quick one-two. Both fighters landed punches in close and Sherk staggered backwards after a flurry. Dunham poured it on with punches and front kicks, then a pair of flying knees. Dunham landed a leg kick and a looping right hook. Another huge knee scored for Dunham as Sherk began to wilt under the pressure. Dunham landed more punches and Sherk missed with a counter flurry. Excellent fight. 10-9 Dunham.

The crowd rightfully showered the arena with boos when the judges scorecards were read. Dunham clearly won the final two rounds and was unjustly robbed of a well-earned victory.

Winner: Sean Sherk by Split Decision (29-28, 29-28, 28-29) after three rounds. He improves to 36-4-1.


Melvin “The Young Assassin” Guillard vs Jeremy “Lil’ Heathen” Stephens

Round 1:
Stephens dropped Guillard with the first punch of the fight, but Guillard quickly recovered and got back to his feet. Guillard tried to set up combinations and ate another hard right hand. Guillard threw a looping overhand right and followed with a straight right as Stephens landed a leg kick. Guillard continued to throw with bad intentions, but missed the mark with another overhand right. Stephens mixed in leg and body kicks. Guillard landed a lead right hand and a one-two.

Stephens targeted the body with a quick flurry in close, but Guillard began to get his timing down and scored with a combination before Stephens could retaliate. Stephens missed with a right but landed a body kick. He threw another body kick and Guillard answered with a right hand. Guillard stepped right into a solid leg kick from Stephens and the fighters exchanged punches. Another leg kick landed for Stephens and Guillard cracked him with a straight right to the jaw. Close round. 10-9 Stephens.

Round 2:
A solid leg kick from Stephens opened the second round and Guillard fired back with a combination. Stephens threw more leg kicks and Guillard began to walk him down with punches and body kicks. Stephens clinched briefly, but the fighters separated and Stephens connected with more kicks. He landed a stiff jab and Guillard quickly replied with one of his own. Time was called after a kick from Guillard strayed low. The fight resumed and Stephens landed a leg kick. Guillard scored with right hands to the upper body and head.

Stephens resumed his assault with kicks. One of his kicks also strayed low and Guillard collapsed to the mat. Replays showed that the kick appeared to be a glancing blow. Action resumed and both fighters landed hard right hands. Guillard jabbed and landed another right. Stephens threw kicks to the legs and body. Guillard missed with a lunging one-two and both fighters landed body kicks. More kicks were exchanged in the final seconds. Another razor-thin round. 10-9 Stephens, barely.

Round 3:
The fighters exchanged jabs to open the final round and Guillard scored with two right hands. Stephens answered with more kicks, but seemed to be one step behind in the punching exchanges. Guillard shrugged off a takedown attempt and Stephens landed even more kicks. The crowd began to grow restless as neither fighter could land the knockout strike that they sought out. Guillard remained a step ahead with punches, but Stephens was effective with counter kicks. Guillard missed with a lunging combination and Stephens landed a glancing left hook.

Guillard stayed outside of Stephens’s range, but Stephens landed a nice kick to the body. A right hand and a leg kick scored for Stephens and he staggered Guillard briefly with a left hook to the liver. Guillard recovered and landed a right hand, but Stephens quickly countered with one of his own. Stephens landed leg kicks and a right hand. Guillard caught him with a jumping knee and the fighters exchanged strikes in the final seconds. Another close round. 10-9 Stephens.

The decision win for Guillard was not surprising. The 30-27 scorecard in his favour, however, seemed to be quite ridiculous.

Winner: Melvin Guillard by Split Decision (30-27, 29-28, 28-29) after three rounds. He improves to 26-8-2, 1 NC.



(Photo Credit: Sherdog.com)