Visa issues have forced Canadian Charmaine “Not So Sweet” Tweet out of her bout against Ediane “India” Gomes at Invicta Fighting Championships 6. Tamikka “Boom Boom” Brents has now stepped in to face Gomes on the card, which takes place on Saturday night in Kansas City, Missouri.
MMARising.com confirmed the late change with the promotion this evening. Gomes was originally set to face Julia “The Jewel” Budd on Saturday and now receives her second replacement opponent. Brents steps in on three days’ notice and looks for her second victory under the Invicta FC banner.
Gomes (10-2-0) has had a rollercoaster start to 2013. At Invicta FC 4 in January, she earned a big win over former Strikeforce title challenger Hiroko “Cat’s Eye” Yamanaka. Three months later, she was set to face Budd at Invicta FC 5, but was later moved into a fight against the returning Cristiane “Cyborg” Justino. A rib injury ultimately forced Gomes off of the card and she has endured a pair of opponent changes for this Saturday’s event. In spite of this, Gomes remains focused on fighting her way to the Invicta FC Featherweight Championship, which will be up for grabs in Saturday’s main event.
Brents (2-0-0) followed up on her 11-0-1, 1 ND amateur career with an impressive first-round TKO victory in her November pro debut. She made a quick return to action and outpointed Amanda “The Lady Killer” Bell at Invicta FC 4, but has since had a number of planned fights fall apart on the regional scene. She was scheduled to face Amanda Miller for the Sugar Creek Showdown women’s featherweight title on July 27th, but now steps into her highest-profile date on mere days’ notice. Brents has yet to taste defeat in 15 career fights. It is currently unknown whether she will still face Miller in two weeks.
As a result of the last-minute change, Gomes and Brents will now face off in a 150-pound catchweight bout. Verbal agreements are in place and the Missouri Office of Athletics has approved the revised fight.
Invicta Fighting Championships 6 takes place on July 13th at the Ameristar Casino Hotel in Kansas City, Missouri. The event is headlined by an Invicta FC Featherweight Championship rematch between Marloes “Rumina” Coenen and Cristiane “Cyborg” Justino.
Invicta Fighting Championships 6 Fight Card (subject to change):
– Marloes “Rumina” Coenen vs Cristiane “Cyborg” Justino [Invicta FC Featherweight Championship]
– Ayaka Hamasaki vs Claudia “Claudinha” Gadelha
– Sarah “The Monster” D’Alelio vs Lauren Taylor
– Leslie “The Peacemaker” Smith vs Jennifer Maia
– Jessica Penne vs Nicdali “The Night Queen” Rivera-Calanoc
– Joanne “JoJo” Calderwood vs Norma Rueda Center
– Ediane “India” Gomes vs Tamikka “Boom Boom” Brents
– Bec “Rowdy” Hyatt vs Mizuki Inoue
– “The Queen of Mean” Miriam Nakamoto vs “Diamond” Duda Yankovich
– “Thug” Rose Namajunas vs Tecia “The Tiny Tornado” Torres
– Ashley “Smashley” Cummins vs Emily Kagan
– “Miss” Mollie Estes vs Veronica “The Heartbreaker” Rothenhausler
– Cassie “The Hulk” Robb vs Livia “T-Rex” von Plettenberg