Leslie “The Peacemaker” Smith and Katalina Malungahu have received new opponents for their upcoming bouts at Invicta Fighting Championships 3 on October 6th in Kansas City, Kansas. Smith faces off against “Killer” Kim Connor-Hamby, while Malungahu now battles Ediane “India” Gomes.
MMARising.com confirmed both changes with the promotion today. Smith is coming off of a spirited Split Draw with Kaitlin Young at Invicta FC 1 and now looks to hand Connor-Hamby her first loss. Gomes has won three of her past four fights. Malungahu remains unbeaten in her young MMA career.
Smith (3-2-1) earned wins in three of her first four pro bouts, but suffered a Unanimous Decision loss to Gomes when the two faced off in October. She rebounded with arguably her best performance to date in the action-packed bout with Young, but ultimately had to settle for a Split Draw when the judges were unable to determine a winner. Smith once again faces a fellow striker in Connor-Hamby (4-0-0), who brings a strong boxing pedigree into her Invicta FC debut. Connor-Hamby has knocked out three of her four MMA opponents to date. The Arkansas native also competes as a pro boxer, but she has been inactive in MMA since an April 2010 Split Decision win due to the birth of her first child and a lack of available opponents. She now returns to the cage in search of her biggest win to date.
Gomes (8-2-0) began her pro career with stoppage wins in each of her first five fights before suffering her first loss at the hands of current Invicta FC and Strikeforce competitor Amanda “Lioness of the Ring” Nunes in 2010. The American Top Team fighter has tasted defeat just once since then, in a March 2011 bout with Strikeforce champ “Rowdy” Ronda Rousey. Gomes is renowned for her aggressive style and finishing ability. Her opponent, Malungahu (2-0-0), is also a proven finisher and has knocked out all five of her pro and amateur opponents to date. This past month, Malungahu needed just 36 seconds to stop the previously unbeaten Ericka Newsome. Now seen as one of the top prospects in the featherweight division, Malungahu could crack the top ten if she can get past the veteran Gomes in October.
Invicta Fighting Championships 3 takes place on October 6th at Memorial Hall in Kansas City, Kansas. The event is headlined by an Invicta FC Atomweight Championship bout between Jessica Penne and Naho “Sugi Rock” Sugiyama.
Invicta Fighting Championships 3 Fight Card (subject to change):
- Jessica Penne vs Naho “Sugi Rock” Sugiyama [Atomweight (105-Pound) Championship]
- Shayna “The Queen of Spades” Baszler vs Sarah “The Monster” D’Alelio [135 Pounds]
- Sarah Kaufman vs Kaitlin Young [135 Pounds]
- Barb “Little Warrior” Honchak vs Aisling “Ais The Bash” Daly [125 Pounds]
- Tara LaRosa vs Vanessa Porto [125 Pounds]
- Leslie “The Peacemaker” Smith vs “Killer” Kim Connor-Hamby [135 Pounds]
- Michelle “The Karate Hottie” Waterson vs Lacey “The Ladie” Schuckman [105 Pounds]
- Julia “The Jewel” Budd vs Elaina “Beef” Maxwell [145 Pounds]
- Carla Esparza vs Lynn “Lights Out” Alvarez [115 Pounds]
- Ashley “Smashley” Cummins vs Joanne Calderwood [115 Pounds]
- Amy “Lil’ Dynamite” Davis vs Stephanie “Macaquinha” Frausto [105 Pounds]
- Jessamyn “The Gun” Duke vs Marciea “Black Widow” Allen [135 Pounds]
- Tecia “The Tiny Tornado” Torres vs Kaiyana Rain [115 Pounds]
- Ediane “India” Gomes vs Katalina Malungahu [145 Pounds]
(Photo Credit: Sherdog.com)