A shoulder injury has forced veteran Kelly “Blood Red” Kobold out of her bantamweight bout with Brazilian standout Vanessa Porto at Invicta Fighting Championships 2 on July 28th in Kansas City, Kansas. Jiu-jitsu ace Sarah “The Monster” D’Alelio will now face Porto on the event’s main card.
Invicta FC officials announced the change this morning. D’Alelio scored an impressive second-round submission win over the previously unbeaten Vanessa Mariscal at Invicta FC 1 in April. Porto has won seven of her past eight fights and captured the Pink Fight 132-pound title on March 10th.
D’Alelio (5-2-0) kicked off her pro career with stoppage wins in each of her first four fights, including submission victories over Colleen Schneider and Hawaii’s Raquel Pa’aluhi. In her fifth fight of 2010, D’Alelio dropped a hard-fought Unanimous Decision to Jackson’s MMA Series champion and current Strikeforce competitor Julie “Fireball” Kedzie. This past August, D’Alelio made her Strikeforce debut, but suffered a controversial submission loss to current Strikeforce Women’s Bantamweight Champion “Rowdy” Ronda Rousey. She ended the two-fight losing skid with a dominant performance against Mariscal, controlling the fight from start to finish until Marsical submitted to punches in round two.
Porto (14-4-0) is also a proven finisher and has gone the distance just three times in her seven-year career. Like D’Alelio, Porto is also a jiu-jitsu specialist and she has earned ten submission wins to date. However, her striking has improved considerably in recent years and that was evident in her most recent bout in March. Needing just 41 seconds to dispatch of Luana Teixeira with a single punch, Porto became the inaugural 132-pound champion in Brazil’s first all-female promotion, Pink Fight. She now returns to the United States for her first fight in the country since 2008. Porto will bring a significant experience advantage into the bout with D’Alelio, but she faces a tough test for her Invicta FC debut.
Invicta Fighting Championships 2 takes place on July 28th at Memorial Hall in Kansas City, Kansas.
Invicta Fighting Championships 2 Fight Card (subject to change):
- Shayna “The Queen of Spades” Baszler (14-6-0) vs Sara McMann (5-0-0) [135 pounds]
- Alexis Davis (11-5-0) vs Hitomi “Girlfight Monster” Akano (18-9-0) [135 pounds]
- Liz “Girl-Rilla” Carmouche (6-2-0) vs Kaitlin Young (7-5-1) [135 pounds]
- Sarah “The Monster” D’Alelio (5-2-0) vs Vanessa Porto (14-4-0) [135 pounds]
- Ayaka Hamasaki (7-0-0) vs Jasminka Cive (5-0-0) [115 pounds]
- Amanda “Lioness of the Ring” Nunes (6-2-0) vs Milana Dudieva (8-1-0) [135 pounds]
- Barb “Little Warrior” Honchak (5-2-0) vs Bethany Marshall (4-0-0) [125 pounds]
- Julia “The Jewel” Budd (2-2-0) vs Elina Nilsson (2-2-0) [145 pounds]
- Carla Esparza (6-2-0) vs Sarah “White Tiger” Schneider (6-5-0) [115 pounds]
- Sarah “Cheesecake” Moras (2-0-0) vs Raquel “Rocky” Pennington (1-1-0) [135 pounds]
- Jessamyn “The Gun” Duke (5-2-0 AM) vs Suzie Montero (1-0-0) [135 pounds]
- Jocelyn “Lights Out” Lybarger (4-2-0 AM) vs Cheryl Chan (6-2-0 AM) [125 pounds]
- “South Valley’s Own” Angelica Chavez (4-1-0) vs Nicdali “The Night Queen” Rivera-Calanoc (7-6-0) [105 pounds]
- Jessica Philippus (7-1-0 AM) vs “Lightning” Liz McCarthy (6-0-0 AM) [105 pounds]
(Photo Credit: Sherdog.com)